Re: 2 Photoshop Questions

6 nov 2006 kl. 21.19 skrev Kostas Papakotas:

....Here is what I am searching for:

2. A way to load an image (B&W) as a mask. The reason for it is that I want to selectively darken all the dark areas, not darken the white ones, AND affect the middles tones an amount relative to the darkness of of the said areas.
I have tried levels of course, and selecting the dark areas but even with feathering I do still not like the result.

For 2. you might try this "workaround":

1)  Duplicate layer.  With duplicate selected, choose Image-Adjustments-Hue,saturation, and drag saturation all the way down.

2)  Change the blending mode of the duplicate layer.  Soft Light is a rather mild effect, Linear Burn is somewhat stronger, and Multiply is the big axe...

3)  Probably this overshot your aim wildly.  So now reduce  the opacity of the duplicate layer, probably to around 30 - 40 %, or whatever looks right.  Also, you might have to turn up the saturation of the bottom layer somewhat to compensate for what the upper layer did to it.

4)  Now, fine tune the result by adding a layer mask to the duplicate layer, and paint into it with a soft, black brush of about 25 % opacity.   This weakens the effect on the painted-on areas.

Try it! It´s fun...

Per Öfverbeck

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"