Eaw and sharpening

All RAW files will need some sharpening. The digital image is inherently ever-so-slightly unsharp. This is because above the actual ccd there is an optical layer that throws the image slightly out of focus in order to "Spread the light" a little. This is compensate for the fact that each photosite is only reading a single colour in RGB. There is an algorithm that corrects for this but you do need a certain amount of sharpening.

As a rule of thumb, in unsharp mask,  you can set the diameter to between 1/4 and 1/5 the megapixel size of the image. So, in a 6 megapixel image you can start at about 1.2 (1/5 of 6) which will give subtle sharpening to 1.5 (1/4 of 6) which will give you quite strong sharpening. Start the "Amount" at 100%
Increasing the amount will increase the contrast at the edges while the radius changes the thickness of the bright line..
Generally I find it is better to increase the amount rather than the radius.
The threshold can usually be left at 0. This is for when there's some fine detail that you don't want sharpened. It is useful for skin texture or in noisy images where you don't want the noise or other artifacts sharpened.

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,

Higher College of Technology
Muscat