Gallery Review, 21 Oct 2006

Hi everyone.

I apologize for my absence of late; there have been some really good works
in here, and I regret that I was unable to spend enough time to write
reviews which would be worthy of the images.

But now I've cracked the knuckles, rolled up the sleeves, and poured a fine
strong cup of coffee. Here goes.

----- ------- -----
"Time" - Jeff Spirer

Jeff, first off, I'd like to commend you for an outstanding photograph.
Everything works well here. The four gentlemen are seen as a team, yet all
exhibit some sort of exclusivity, whether by age, demeanor, or wardrobe.
>From a technical standpoint, contrast here seems a little high, but it adds
to the gritty feel of the photo's context. Even the title alludes to
journalism (the magazine), the timeless quality of the image, possibly even
the manner in which the intervals of the contest's segments/rounds are
defined. As a side note, I believe this to be a highly marketable
photograph, whether as stock or decor. Nicely done!

----- ------- -----
"Foggy Morning" - Renate Volz

The tranquility of the locale is further underscored by the presence of fog.
Everything is heavy here: the moisture in the air, the Spanish moss pulling
the tree branches down, the riverbank apparently sliding into the water. The
overall image is somewhat reminiscent of an Impressionist painting. The
composition looks pretty good; even with the framing device (branches),
there is really nothing to frame. The empty space is a little too big.
Otherwise, everything looks good: proper exposure, depth of field, etc.
Thank you, Renate, for submitting this.

----- ------- -----
untitled - Herschel Mair

Herschel, there are so many things I like about this one. The shallow depth
of field and composition promote this from a portrait to a story. The man
and goat are sharply focused, and it is almost possible to see his history
in the lines of his face. By including the heads of the men talking to him,
the viewer is less of a voyeur (of sorts) and becomes included in the group.
The desaturated color add to the feel; had this been shot on Velvia, for
example, the sense of unfolding story would probably be lost. It's too bad
for the goat, however. Then again, the poor creature attained what so many
others never will: the fifteen minutes (or in this case a week) of fame...

----- ------- -----
"Night over the city" - Guy Glorieux

Ahh, Montreal. A great city, full of diversity, progress, and culture. Guy,
you selected a wonderful, albeit logistically difficult vantage point.
Composition is as near to perfect as I would ever want, and you nailed the
window of opportunity of the time of day. There's enough blue light in the
sky to keep it from swallowing up the top of the frame, but dark enough to
warrant the dizzying array of lights. Mercury vapor, sodium vapor, tungsten,
fluorescent, neon... they all contribute to an endlessly unfolding patchwork
of color. The broad reflections on the water form a good balance to the
point lights throughout the rest of the image. I'm somewhat curious about
the delineation in the sky and again in the water about 40% of the way from
the left of the image to the center, and am thinking that it was residual
from the stitching process. Just a little distracting, that's all. I am
unsure why I am wanting to see the full version; this could mean either it's
so alluring I want more; on the other hand maybe I feel like the small
version isn't satisfying some visual need. Again, unsure why...

----- ------- -----
"Olive Trees" - Andrew Brooks

Andrew, the visual interest in this is unending. The repetitive image of
squiggly trees reminds me of Van Gogh or Dali, and is hauntingly
beautiful... The sun burning through the tree to the left is an interesting
touch, as it prevents the photo from flirting dangerously close to monotony.
The down side to that, however, is that it blew the contrast between
branches and sky, which is what really strengthened the image. This might or
might not look better in b/w with a bit more contrast added. A great shot,
nonetheless.

----- ------- -----
"Dark Edges" - Mark Harris

The wonder of this photo, Mark, is in the identification process. You've
incorporated a high level of abstraction, yet the tangibility of the image
is such that you have, in essence, also bridged the gap between reality and
imagination. On a technical note, I believe this would have been better with
more attention to contrast. It's overall a muddy gray; the background could
be pushed to a solid black, and the highlights raised a bit to provide more
of a sense of texture.

----- ------- -----
"Fall racing" - Emily L. Ferguson

Emily, you managed to capture the action well here. The splash of water, the
lines of tension in the pilot's body and in the boat's rigging. My initial
reaction was that the sepia seems a little out of place, though, at least in
my mind (possibly because I have always equated sepia with slower times),
and created a somewhat adverse effect on the contrast. But after looking at
it again, I kind of like it. The pinpoint highlights in the water make this
magic, and it was really well framed. Something about the horizon persists
on bothering me, and I think that if it weren't parallel to the bottom of
the frame, it should be so skewed as to be obviously intentional. Besides
all of these considerations, I like the (quasi-?) handwritten signature at
the bottom of the frame. Your signature style is stretched out, at a tilt,
and goes linear at the end; all of this complements the subject matter
(concept) and angularity of the elements (tangible). Nice job!

----- ------- -----
"I'm Leaving" - Jim Snarski

What first struck me, Jim, is the composition in this one. Very nicely
executed, especially given the brevity of the moment at hand. Of particular
note is the negative space created by Alice's raised wing and Ralph's back
and neck (I always imagined at some point Alice would have had enough and
left Mr. Kramden all alone). The visual positioning of the two leaves
nothing to be desired, and the diagonal created by the tops of the pilings
provide just the right amount of balance with the two pelicans. The lack of
background clutter (clouds, trees, etc.) define the subject(s) perfectly.
Plus, the title, although not part of the image, per se, adds a touch of
humor, which is certainly welcome in my world. On another note, I'd like to
point out that this is a god example of why all those arguments (Film vs.
Digital, Nikon vs. Canon, etc.) are pointless. It's not the equipment that
makes the difference; it's the operator's ability to use what s/he has to
work with. Outstanding!

OK, that's about it for this week.

Thanks to all contributors (verbal and visual) and I look forward to the
next exhibit.

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA