From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 5:20 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: laptop? Notebook computers?

Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am ready to buy a lap top or notebook (what's the difference?)
> computer to use for general work and to display PowerPoint
> presentations on photography and nonphotography related projects.
>
> I'd like to start with items some of you have had experience with.  If
> some of you would be willing to name some pros and cons of this type
> of computer you are familiar with it would be helpful to me.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Marilyn

Hmmmmmmm, how do I explain this??????

On July 31 I retired from IBM after 40 years.  I had a company supplied
T42 Think Pad that i had to turn in when I put my toolbag on the hook.
Before leaving I searched the IBM employee purchase program, all the major
PC stores, and I think, PC Magazine for reviews and comparisons.

I bought an Acer Aspire 3005WLCi.

I don't remember which Lenovo ThinkPad, IBM sold the PC business to
Lenovo a Chinese PC maker, I was considering but the Acer won out.   It
has an Mobile AMD Sempron processor 3300+, a bit faster than the Lenovo, a
15.4' LCD display, the Lenovo has a 14" LCD.  The Acer came with Windows XP
Pro, the Lenovo windows XP Home Edition.  Otherwise they both have a CD/DVD
RW, 80G hard drive, WiFi  802.11b/g , 10/100 Ethernet, and a 56K V.92 modem
all standard and built in.

The only problems I have with the Acer are that the built in speakers are,
technically at least, just speakers.  Poor quality at best.  This is no
biggie since there are many external speakers in various sizes so if you're
traveling you can find small travel speakers.  (My T42 audio was no winner
either so I don't see this as a problem.)  The other thing is that I had to
buy a new bag for the Acer since all the bags I collected over the years
were for the smaller 14" display laptops.

I've used it for storing and displaying photos at various places and
checking e-mail and keeping in touch with the family via an Intant
Messenger with great results.   Oh yeah, it was less money too.

Hope this helps.

Bob

--

                           /////