Re: Hershel, question (Digital Asset Management)

Lea, Lightroom is a full relational database so It  can have the same image in any number of "Collections" The program creates what I guess you could call "Virtual folders" where references to the original images are kept so you don't have to have multiple copies of the same file on your computer.
You can use unlimited keywords and descriptions?.
It's very quick and intuitive too.
so it is very definitely a DAM tool. In fact I think DAM it's one of its prime functions.
It?s way beyond Bridge in that respect

The trick, of course, is finding the time to sit down and do the management? The thought of sitting for hours, at the computer,  in any kind of administrative activity, gives me the heebie jeebies.
Good luck

Herschel

lea murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Herschel,

I am investigating Lightroom at your suggestion.

Can you tell me if it is considered a DAM in the cataloging sense of the word and not only in the browsing sense of the word?

Thanks for suggesting I look at it. I had it downloaded some time back but became so overwhelmed trying to learn RAW conversion in the first place that I just stuck to PS ARC.

I'm pretty much thinking that whatever I do needs to include asset management as part of the package.

I'm looking at Aperture, iViewMedia Pro and now Lightroom if it has these capabilities.

Many thanks,
Lea

lea murphy

Herschel Mair