Re: cameras in lugage

lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I dunno, this might be a good idea: http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/09/expensive_camer.html AZ

Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.
Now an E-book.
http://www.panoramacamera.us <http://www.panoramacamera.us/>

Put my stuff in checked luggage?  I don't thnk so.......

One day I ordered a $17,000 processor module to put in a Customer's computer later that evening. Before I got on site at the 2300 scheduled time the Customer called and wanted to postpone the repair activity and asked that I stop by in the morning.

The next morning I saw the package that my Customer received. It had TSA inspection stickers and tape on it and looked as though the box had been dropped from about a mile high. Inside the module was just tossed in the remains of the box and not in the static wrapper. I understood and agreed when my Customer wouldn't let me install the module in his computer.

After at least six months the module was just written off because of the crap the TSA wanted us to do to prove that they destroyed the module. The air carrier told us that since it had all the TSA stickers and tape on itthey had no responsibility. A coworker once had his lock cut off and replaced with a blue tie wrap and a note that the bag had been opened by TSA for inspection. Don't remember what he had in it though.

And I'm going to trust them with my camera and lenses? A I said, I don't think so.

Last month I flew from CLE to LAS and back with no problems and courteous treatment from the TSA people at both gates. In fact, while starting out in CLE the TSA guy asked if my camera was film or digital as I put it on the belt to get scanned. I admit I only had one body/lens and three other lenses and a flash, probably not what a Working Pro would have but I had no problems.

BTW, the second module was in a pristine package and the Customer is fixed......

Bob

--

                          /////
                         ( O O )