PhotoForum Exhibits review, 23 Sep 2006

Hi everyone!

Somehow, a 10-image gallery is the response to a "no gallery submissions
enqueued" message just hours before posting time.

How delightful!

----- ------- -----
"Nice Catch" - Jim Snarski

Jim, this looks like a well-composed, well-timed shot. It almost looks as if
the bird is about to ingest the moon... The tight cropping and good exposure
work well in this image; I'm not sure I like the high-key background,
though. The JPG noise is a little distracting, too. This is a fun shot,
nonetheless.

----- ------- -----
"Who's That?" - Laurenz Bobke

Laurenz, this looks like your typical garden-variety green spider... This
image is really intriguing. The seed pod looks exotic, comprised of circular
form, and the spider, with its linear and angular composition, together
create a unique coexistence. Structurally they are different, but they
complement each other in color and substance. Exposure was done well,
despite green being one of the most difficult colors to capture.
Compositionally the image works, everything looks well-balanced, and depth
of field was reduced to add interest to the subject. However, the background
is still just a little too noisy, and the highlights just a little too bulky
for my taste. A closer crop and/or shifting the camera's position slightly
to the left may have done this one more justice.

----- ------- -----
"The Harbor No. 3" - Gregory David Stempel

I typically don't read the text before commenting on the image, but in this
case I made an exception, and noticed that you had already considered my
suggestion, which would have been to pan the camera a bit to the right,
hence cropping on the left. the reason for this is the presence of
more-or-less uninteresting foliage on the left in lieu of structures which
are truncated on the right. I feel like I want to see what's going on there.
I had also thought about the possibility (after the fact, I know) of
shooting this as a vertical, and leaving the horizon line the same distance
from the bottom of the frame. I feel that this would satisfy the desire to
portray the expansiveness of the approaching storm clouds, and at the same
time make use of the frame's valuable "real estate" by eliminating some of
the shoreline to the left and some of the busy harbor to the right. The
ominous feel of this scene demands the use of B/W, good choice there, and
the gull trying to duck the storm adds to the sense of foreboding.

----- ------- -----
"Aria" - Herschel Mair

She has a presence about her that really makes the image work. There was
obviously a fair amount of post-shooting processing going on, which is
usually a detractor for me, but in this case it works well. Her pose and
expression, and your relative position (no pun intended) combine to make
this a whimsical shot. One can only guess what she's thinking! The
blowing-out of the white surroundings, I'm sure, simplified the photo
immensely, but you managed to keep the focus of the image on her face. Her
shoulder is disappearing into the background, and I'm on the fence as to
whether I want to see the separation there or not. Great job!

----- ------- -----
"Rachel and Joshie just before bedtime" - Lea Murphy

This is an amusing study of two children, Lea... It portrays one's
fascinated curiosity and another's slight lack of interest in yet another
photo being taken. The use of B/W was a good choice; I doubt very seriously
that the same effect would have been even nearly attained in a color format.
Aditionally, the B/W adds to the timeless quality of the image. Had the
children been dressed differently, the title may have been just as effective
as "Rachel and Joshie just before WWII." The lighting is excellent here and
really adds to the natural feel. At first I was a bit disappointed with the
loss of the top of her head, but upon closer inspection, the composition was
done very well; there would have been too much dark/empty space at the top
of the frame. You chose to put him in the center, and to have her end up
wherever she fell in the frame, and this seems to benefit the entire image.
A work well done!

----- ------- -----
"Dark clouds over London" - Guy Glorieux

Guy, initially I thought the grain was distracting, and the use of color
extraneous. After having washed the grain out digitally and desaturating, I
was left with a dull distant resemblance of the original photo. "Dark
clouds" and "London" seem synonymous, but in this example, your rendition of
London is awash with bright blues and yellows instead of the expected gray.
The grain, as it turns out, underscores the dampness and presence (whether
literal or implied) of rain, despite the efforts of the sunlight trying to
push through at center left. The structures in the foreground add visual
interest to what would be a very linear urban landscape, and prevent the
image from looking like it was shot from too far away to be effective. I
also like the way the storm clouds (chaos, turbulence, ) emerge from behind
the buildings (clean, formal, silk-suit), which linger just past the
industrial complex (dirt, grease, dust). Exposure looks great; composition
looks pretty good. Thinking I'm seeing just *a bit* too much water,
corrected by either a crop or a tip upward...

----- ------- -----
"Kentai Bridge" - Don Roberts

The repetitive arches of the bridge pull the whole image together, leading
my eye to the building across the water. The lighting and exposure work
wonderfully here, especially with regard to the round stone pilings under
the bridge; the light just fades from bright to shade, particularly with the
middle two, where the right edge of the near one is set against the far one,
dramatically showing its boundaries. The foliage serves as a suitable
backdrop which doesn't distract from the bridge, yet holds enough texture to
maintain much more visual interest than would, say, a cloudless sky. Don,
you did well to capture this alluring scene, and I think it would be
perfected with the removal of the gray strip along the top.

----- ------- -----
"Jenny´s and Hans´ Wedding" - Per Öfverbeck

Per, the first thing I noticed was the lighting. The greens of foliage are
pulled out so well, indicative of what I am sure will be a long celebration
of life. The two of them look so happy in the moment, and you did a great
job of portraying that. I only wish the depth of field had been a bit
shallower and/or camera position adjusted to eliminate the tree behing their
shoulders. Other than that, I believe it is a good photo.

----- ------- -----
"Fall is Coming" - Emily L. Ferguson

Ah, yes. The crisp morning air, the green of summer yielding to Autumn's
sweeping fire. Somehow, though, I just don't see it in this photo. Sorry,
Emily, but the subject is sprawling and lacks a center of focus, and there
are just too many distracting elements surrounding the fading plant. I will
say, however, that the saturation, contrast, lighting, and exposure look
good...

----- ------- -----
"glow" - Trevor Cunningham

Again, Trevor... I have no idea what it is I am looking at. that said, I
will mention that the repeating image looks intriguing, especially since no
two are identical, whether by merit of blemish or the horribly beautiful
raking light. The surrounding blackness forces this object into its own
entity, even as the upper right portion is partially obscured by shadow.
Visually, it's moderately interesting, mostly by virtue of curiosity, and
you get points on that level. But without some form of context, meaning is
lost in the intricate folds of the abstract... Exposure looks excellent,
though, and, as with many of your images, I would like to see this as part
of a series. If I can't get much statement from one image, maybe I can be
helped along with Gestalt theory.

Thank you all for your contributions, whether verbally or visually. As
always, I look forward to continued conversations about the work.

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA