Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: Photoshop CS 2

The auto setting is merely a starting point. You have to start somewhere right.

If you have a better starting point than the auto settings, you can turn the auto off and save your own settings as default in the same menu.
The procedure is:
1. click the settings triangle then
2. uncheck auto settings then
3.click save new camera raw defaults (Or words to that effect)

When you say that PS is not smarter than the photographer, ... well it depends which photographer.
PS isn't smart at all, It just does what you tell it to, but the guys at Adobe who design those auto settings certainly know a helluva lot more than I do so I must at least take notice of what they think of my image before I go and change everything. I start off with the auto on and make adjustment from there. It's a point of departure.

If the auto settings consistently give you bad results, you need to take a look at other steps in your workflow, like exposure and white balance settings.

Of course if you are, as you say, way smarter that the guys at Adobe who put the RAW interface together, and you have a plan or a system then you can follow the above instructions and kill the auto settings and replace them with your own settings. Many poeple do.

I am a little biased as I am on the Adobe ASN support network and have worked rather intensively, both practically and academically in the software for over 10 years.

I also use Phase One with the old Hasselblad back tethered.  It  also good software but not nearly as versatile.

herschel

Mair's Photography <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Herschel
Thanks!
I am wondering is there a way to permanently shut down the auto settings? I did as you suggested but notice that each time I open a new raw file it defaults back to auto, PS is still not smarter then the photographer, I wish Adobe would get that! I also noticed the program still does not know what white is.
One more question is there a way to make it stop generating the .xmp file?
Thanks again
Terry L. Mair
Mair's Photography
158 South 580 East