big ones

curiosity got the better of me the other day when someone spoke of a new
lens claimed to be the worlds biggest..

>From robgalbraith.com

"Carl Zeiss has posted a web page with a description and pictures of a
one-off
STL Sonnar T* 1700mm f/4 supertelephoto lens  that it made-to-order for a
customer to use with his Hasselblad 203 FE medium format SLR. (This would
be
roughly equivalent to a 920mm f/4 on 35mm format.)

Zeiss says the optic is the world's largest telephoto lens, a claim that is
hard to doubt after you learn that it weighs 256 kg (564 lbs.). It uses a
servo-controlled aiming and focusing system.

The lens will be on display at Photokina."

<http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b9/ContentsFrame/8baac109cb80bddfc12571
e100393a1b>

which got me looking for the elusive Big Canon and lo and behold, I found a
pic of the thing!

http://www.canonfd.com/mirrorlenses/pages/page10.html

and if you look closely on the right you'll see an itty bitty attachment to
the lens.  That's the camera :)

<gear junkies may now moan in envy>