PF Exhibits 09 Sep 2006

Hi, everyone!

I'd like to take a minute to apologize on behalf of my ISP... After ten days
of being in the dark, I finally regained my Internet connection. As such, I
totally missed last week's exhibit.

I invite all who submitted work to the gallery last week to send me their
photos as an attachment via my personal e-mail so that I may be able to
critique, as the PF Exhibit does not feature a picture archive of any
sort... I will then post my comments to the List.

This week looks like another full collection. Here goes...

----- ------- -----
"A Naifa in concert" (Mário Filipe Pires)

Mário, even though I minored in Anthropology, I don't know what "fado" is...
nonetheless, the image is what I'm after. And this one looks great!
Specifically, I love the way you portrayed the tension in the musicians
symmetrically; they are both stretching back, obviously feeling the strains
reverberating through the air. Catching the moment like that, the blue light
on his face and edge-lighting her back, the warm glow over both, his hand
illuminated in dazzling highlight, this image really works for me. I can
almost hear the music! The only thing I wish was different about this image
is the high contrast created by the deep shadow from her shoulder down.
Other than that, the composition is perfect, and the dark background does
well to simplify the image and keep me focused on what is really going on.
Superb!

----- ------- -----
"Twin bridges over the "La Cure" - A negative view" (Guy Glorieux)

Guy, at first glimpse, this looked like a straight print. I am familiar with
Loengard's book, and you have done well to emulate his style. Structurally,
the image is well-balanced, even though it is off-center, and the intrigue
created by the negative image is enough to keep me gazing, looking for all
of the details presented. As a proponent of chemical-based photography (as
opposed to digital), and paper negatives in particular, I can appreciate
this image all the more, whether it is a product of digital means or not. A
strikingly good photograph (which, by the way, looks better, IMO, than the
positive version). Well done.

----- ------- -----
"... like ski slopes..." (Renate Volz)

Renate, I'm having difficulty matching the image to the title, but then, I'm
a Florida boy. Never been skiing in my life, except on water... as for the
photo itself, it's clean. It's sharp. It's up-close and personal, as they
say. But for me, it is a little lacking in originality. Had you been able to
implant a skier of some sort into the image, preferably seamlessly, it would
have made a more powerful statement visually than it does in this case,
which relies heavily on the title in order to make a connection. Otherwise,
the technical aspects are dead-on; exposure and focus (including depth of
field) cannot be improved upon, although the lighting may be just a tad
harsh, easily correctible by the use of a low-density scrim. Composition is
great, too, as the camera angle and viewpoint are right where I'd put them,
were I commissioned to making this image.

----- ------- -----
"Tower" (Qkano)

Bob, all I have to say (initially) is "What in the world?" Abandoned fort?
Abandoned by whom? The Lilliputians? The depth of field, the incongruent
textures, and the well-defined regions of color all work to make this an
interesting, if not incomprehensible ,image. This is really well done; I
find myself being pulled back in to look at it, to make some sense of it.
Reminiscent of the "Eyeball Benders" feature in every issue of "Games"
magazine, I'm feeling a headache coming on as I wrack my brain trying to
figure it out. So, in the interest of circumventing undue cranial pain, I
concede to just looking upon it in a fit of childlike wonder, and tell you
that you nailed this one in a technical sense. And ended up producing
something I'd like to see as part of a series, possibly entitled "What the
hell is it?"

----- ------- -----
[untitled] (Emily L. Ferguson)

Emily, I really like this image. Perhaps it is the allure of the dreamlike
combination of water, wind, and sailcloth which brought me back home to this
coastal town that makes me feel like part of the photograph. Or it could be
your mad skills with regard to exposure and timing. The slow billowing of
the sail in conjunction with the obviously rapid motion of the boat makes
this photo work really well. The patch of sunlight adds a gossamer feel to
the tactile qualities here, along with smooth sky, and rippled water.
Exposure is near-perfect, and the close cropping should bother me, but it
doesn't. A "wicked good" photo!

----- ------- -----
"Judgement at Pebble Beach Concours" (Steve Shapiro)

Steve, all I can say is that it's a good thing these aren't fashion-show
judges. The car looks fantastic; a great capture of the reflective quality
of the fenders, and the overall otherworldly look of the automobile. It is a
somewhat humorous photo; these guys are gawking at this beauty like it's
some surgeon's convention... The weather wasn't working for you this day.
the sky is a blown-out white, and the lack of contrast created by the
overcast sky lends nothing but heartache to a detailless hood (bonnet for
you in the UK) and cowling, which could probably use a bit more contrast.
Depth of field seems to be a problem here, too, as the "noisy" crowd,
structures, and trees serve as little more than a distraction from "where
the action's at".

----- ------- -----
"Flame" (Laurenz Bobke)

Laurenz, although the contrast/exposure/focus is right on the money, this
image falls a little short for me. Had you not mentioned it was Fukuoka, I'd
have thought it was shot in your living room. Or mine, for that matter. If
there's something intrinsically fascinating about the image (doesn't have to
be exotic; remember Weston's peppers?) that's fine. In this case, you've
cropped in so tightly, the sense of place is gone, and my initial reaction
is to think "OK, cool. Candle from Pier 1 Imports. Move on..."

----- ------- -----
"Industrial" (Jeff Spirer)

Jeff, there's something seriously haunting yet beautiful about this image.
Three thoughts come to mind immediately, but separately: 1) Orwellian Big
Brother; 2) adolescent memories of being afraid that the Soviets would
invade and this would become my world; 3) a ribcage, skeletal fragments, and
neurons running chaotically, but precisely. This is really a wonderful
juxtaposition of disparate but connected objects. The curvature of the
fencetop, stout poles, delicate but taut wires, and a mottled sky. The
components of the image are repetitive, but individual, and the lack of
detail in silhouette pull the viewer into a sense of foreboding, of being
trapped by the artifacts of modern society. But then, the convergence of the
elements somewhere off the bottom of the frame help to think escape might be
possible... Great job!

----- ------- -----
"Going Out Tonight" (Morley Roberts)

Morley, although I like the uninhabited (no sign of life anywhere, not even
in the sky) yet anticipatory (hatch is open) feel of this image, as well as
the exotic locale (rocky wharf, mountains in the distance), there seems to
be something missing. Perhaps an air of mysteriousness could have been lent
to the image by shallowing up the depth of field and getting in closer to
the boat rather than shooting it broadside from something of a distance.
Capture the feeling of not knowing what the night has in store, and/or
portray the flurry of activity as deck hands work furiously to prepare for
the evening's work. Unfortunately, for me this image says less about "going
out tonight" than it does "Available now on Ebay, fishing boat, currently
$18,001. Bid now!"

Disclaimer: the views expressed in this e-mail message are opinions of Darin
Heinz based solely upon years of experience among the photographic
community. Don't worry, Darin likes you even if he verbally trashed your
work. ;-)

Looking forward to continued discussion about this work and photography at
large.

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA