Re: Flash for Canon 5D

Well, Marilyn

Think of yourself as a wedding photographer. It's you job to get the shots, not to be unobtrusive. You come in there with the best equipment, knowing its limitations - especially of light dropoff, and you do your work - which is to get down in the middle of the center aisle or over on the side in front of the front row and get a few shots of the speaker. As the official photographer you have the right to temporarily block the view of the audience in order to get the shot. You may also have the right to expect a reserved seat on the front row for a few shots, and to do a portrait of the guest of honor before or after the presentation. No crouching down necessary, you're the official photogapher.

As for group shots, the standard commercial photographer is going to set them up - get everyone doing all the tacky stuff with their arms around each other, smiling obnoxiously at the camera, or waving their drink glasses up in a toast, or strategially placed around a banquet table. That's your job - to get the shots for the promoters.

While it's true that shots with have not been set up are more satisfying to us, you will soon find that the most important thing to the people in them is me, me, me. Is my hair OK, do I have a good smile like everyone else, am I the only one not looking at the camera, look at how badly my dress hangs, oh dear I look so fat in that picture, me, me, me. Your job is to get everyone looking great and posed is easier.

Finally, for the cavernous building. look into some clamps that you can mount remote flashes on and clip to things like girders holding up the ceiling, or molding on which the picture hanging hooks are mounted, an open window will allow you an edge to clip to light to and a swivel socket on the clamp will allow you to aim the flash more easily. Let the producers know that you'll need a few minutes to set up your wireless lights in order to get them the photographs they want - interesting, well lit, etc.

Then bring a bounce card and shoot RAW!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx