Re: Flash for Canon 5D

Thank you for your suggestions, James.  The building and situations under which I am photographing cause some of the problems.  There is no real ceiling to bounce the flash off of - The ceiling is about 15 feet high and is just a dark hole.  It looks great in the gallery and the space is put to use for "high" flying exhibits (an actual model of the Wright Bros. plane was hung in this area for a recent exhibit of work put up by The American Society of Aviation Artist's - amazing art work, by the way).  I've tried bouncing off of walls but that doesn't always work.

Setting lights up around the gallery is not an option due to light stands, etc. getting in the way, people tripping, lights getting knocked over and crashing in to a piece of art work, etc.

Part of my job is to photograph receptions which means photographing groups of people and following the artist/guests around to all areas of the gallery/museum.  I like to stay in the background, but I may just have to start asking people to "stand there, please" so I can control the lighting.

The most difficult part is photographing the artist while they give presentations to the guests.   The audience is seated in a rather large area and the artist is 10 or so feet in front of the audience.

Back to the drawing board {:->

Marilyn