Re: NOISE ?

"LEICA@xxxxxxx wrote:

I guess I'm a hopeless carryover from film days but I'd rather use the word 'grain' instead of 'noise'. Actually this digital 'noise' makes no sound. Bob M"

I'd almost agree, except that grain directly refers to specific silver clumps formed during the processing of film, and that could easily lead to confusion. If I said "the grain in my images", I think many people would automatically assume I'd used film.

The problem of randomly generated artefacts in electronics is called noise, I think, and I suppose that is why electronically generated artefacts in photography have been called "noise". Perhaps an alternative term should have been invented.

How about DIPROAS? (Digitally produced artefacts)

Howard*
*