Re: This weeks gallery

Good Morning Richard,

I just wanted to say "Thank you" for the very kind critique!  It is so nice to see what others think of your work.  I actually created a much more fun photoshopped version which I may post at a later date.

Catherine

Richard Wrigley <r.wrigley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings from Norfolk (UK)

A nice collection of pictures again, but somewhat diminished in quantity, but not quality.

Marty Kerins Jr.  Calm before the storm
A very well seen picture, nicely presented in a letter box shape in an almost nono colour picture.
My only carp is that I would like to have seen an highlight in the water, I do know that there are small 'glitters' in there, but a good, not dominant, highlight would have given a stron contrast to the rest of the picture.
I would add that had I seen this picture I would have shot it, hopefully as well, and submitted it to the forum.

Trevor Cunningham  So, now what?
I like the humour in this picture, and hope the camel did not get too tired standing on three legs!
The picture works well in black and white, but I feel could use some additional contrast to give the impression of sunlight and a hot climate
The composition of the picture is basically good, and although the person on the left in black is looking out of the picture I think this is just acceptable.
The various textrures of the wall, ground, shutters and brickwork give variety to the picture, and the bored _expression_ of the boy is well seen.

Guy Glorieux   Memento mori
A nice picture, well seen, and well presented - the incorporated title is well done - in keeping with the picture.
I find the background too diminant, it is held well out of focus, but the highlight from the top of the wall is too dominant, as is the green grass? and draws the eye.
The statue is well presented, and the texture is rendered well, and the framing (not all the head is shown) adds to the impact.

Cathy Morrison-Heinz
An excellent study of the musician, with great atmosphere and feeling. The tones range over the full rnge (white to black) and the focus is spot on.
Technicallities over, the picture is well composed an has great impact, the bamboo backing being just the right degree out of focus.
The dark base to the picture adds impact.
The lighting (partial) of the hands is good, and conveys a sense of the detatchment of the musician from his suroundings.
A very good picture.

D.L. Shipman
A very good picture of a group of ladies enjoying themselves.  It has life and movement, and although two of the 'dancers' have their backs to the 'camera' the group holds together and it is apparent that they all are into the event.  The pianoist  is well positioned in the picture, and his 'conservative' dress compared to the dancers is a nice contrast.
Composition is good, the outermost participants (dancer in blue skirt and pianoist) stop one falling off the picture.  There are 'things' on the standard thirds, but these are not significant, and thepicture holds together well - if you know how to apply the rules, you usually know when to break them.
A good picture which captures a party atmosphere.

Steve Shapiro  Odello Long Barn
A nice letterbox picture.  Done in black and white it definately comes off.  The extent of the barn is well pictured and the impression that it starts off somewhere to the left of the actual picture gives an increased impression of length.
The strong horizontal lines of thepicture are well presented, and due to the use of mono colour are not detracted from by spurious colour.
The slight air of neglect is well sugeste by the few planks of wood in the lower left of the picture and the condition of the buildings - huts - to the right  The passage way between the barn adn the sheds is a nice lead in to the fact that there exists life beyond the barn, but is not too detailed as to draw the eye too deeply.
The rendering of the tiles and wood is interesting.
A nice picture which I could imagine being hung on the wall of some large farm or similar.

Richard.
r.wrigley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which when looked at in
the right way, did not become still more complicated"
Poul Anderson

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Do you Yahoo!?