Re: Learning how to use a computer - a bit of a tirade...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shyrell Melara"

: BTW - For those of you who do teach, do ALL of you have degrees and such?
I have a degree in photography and would like to teach children. I've been
toying with the idea of a summer program. But where and how would I start?

I started many qualification courses but completed none, holding absolutely
nought in the way of degrees or diplomas.  This never stopped me from
learning a lot while studying, rather, I was more interested in the
knowledge than the paper at the end.  Amusingly as an insider teaching and
lecturing I've seen priorities change (funding, obligations, budgets etc)
to the point that I had serious concerns about the diplomas and the like
that have been issued to people..

How to put it... once we could fail those who learned little, failed to
apply themselves or were inherently incapable of demonstrating they
understood what they needed to understand.  Now as funding is based on the
numbers of students that pass rather than the number who enter a course
there is a reluctance to fail anyone.  Course requirements and material has
been relaxed to ensure a higher pass rate - and there are people entering
courses with their highest priority being to obtain qualifications rather
than to learn.

I have seen some highly qualified lecturers (not specifically in
photography) who are incapable of actually conveying information, who
barely have a grasp of the subject they teach while conversely I have met
some enthusiastic unqualified lecturers who deliver a mass of information
succinctly and effectively.

I guess I view a qualification for what it is - a sort of 'letter of
introduction' for the holder to the outside world, with that letters value
being based on the known standards of the institute which issued it.  Say
for example a UWA chemistry degree, great, a mail order degree from some
offshore 'institute' valued very low ;)  My lack of qualifications never
seemed to matter, I still got some great jobs with no paperwork as I was a
'known'.

I've taught courses in Photoshop both to graphic designers and to
photographers - I love the tool as a graphics program, it works
extraordinarily well!  For photographers though I felt it was lacking and
never felt at ease teaching it as though it were the be-all and end-all of
tools.  The course unfortunately was restricted to Photoshop only and
demanded nothing more be taught so I withdrew from teaching.

Later I worked for a company which offered Photoshop courses and tutorials
but again I declined to teach it to people and instead concentrated on
teaching them how to use other programs - the other guy who lectured was
great and those new to photography seemed to enjoy the courses and
benefited from the networking.  Many of the pro photographers were pretty
experienced at Photoshop anyway, but as working pros they were searching
for faster ways to chew through their work and keep time in front of
computers to a minimum.

Those I taught were delighted with being able to use free programs, many
discovering they barely had to look at the images as the programs did their
tricks - some found they need only do a rapid evaluation of the images to
decide which were keepers, maybe do a quick crop then farm the rest of the
work out to batch processing programs.  Sometimes a bunch of photos would
quickly be dropped into Photoshop for special actions or masking, but the
time spent there was kept to a minimum.

Since Perth is a small city with waaay too many photographers for the
market, the pricing is critical to business success here.. that's a
euphemism for 'ya gotta be cheap'.  No photographer has the time to spend
an hour on an image, even 15 minutes is excessive if you're to keep the
business economically viable, so trimming the workload to the bone is
critical!  Do a school function one night, cover a sporting event the next
day and finish off the evening with a wedding and they'd have a couple of
thousand images to work - batching the bulk of it is the only way to make
the business pay.

How to get into teaching?  Write up a course that you know will interest
people, market it - take it friends, family and the like and get as many
people interested as possible then head down to the local college and sell
it to them.  Say you have people ready to enrol, tell them what you need in
the way of facilities, work out what you'll take in pay and decide if it's
still what you want to do.  If the college sees they'll get a return, then
you're in.

As the course runs, continue marketing it and see if the college runs
teacher training courses at a reduced cost for staff (some do for free), if
so, do them and pick up whatever teacher qualifications you can.  You'll
probably be offered relief work as permanent staff take days off sick or
whatever - do these days.  Always make yourself available.  In time you may
be offered permanent work, or a permanent position may come up - apply for
it.  In the meantime keep running your own courses, keep them pretty cheap
and now that you're established in the college, attend photo club meets and
offer to do free talks, go to local schools and offer assistance to
teachers .. spread your self far and wide and be seen as THE face in your
area for anything to do with the teaching of digital photography.

Success is based on marketing these days - market yourself heavily and
you'll get what you're after in the end.

A word of advice though, if you find a quicker way to do something - pass
it on and don't keep it to yourself, you are after all a teacher now -
NEVER compromise this.  If you found it then some one else will undoubtedly
stumble across it too.  If you hold anything back then you are cheating
your students.  If you want to be the best teacher you can be then keep
your eyes open and look at everything and anything that could improve your
knowledge and ease the work that students seek to undertake.  Learn from
your students, keep abreast of new technology, new programs, new tricks,
new anything.  Never bluff - if you don't know something or if you're
confronted with something you've never heard of, ask or try to find out
more, no one expects teachers to be infallible and few appreciate a person
who dismisses things they don't understand of have never seen before.

Even though you may not teach it, try to learn about data recovery, media
validation, various freeware programs and the like (the freeware comes in
handy when you have less wealthy students - they'll appreciate this!).  You
don't need to learn too much about the underlying technology if you're just
training end users to make good images, but it will come in very handy when
things go wrong.  Encourage students to share THEIR discoveries with the
classes - that is another way for you to learn about anything new too :)

Finally - people are learning Photoshop because it is what they think they
need.  By all means teach it to those who want to know more about
Photoshop, but be aware that it may not be what they need at all.  Find out
what people actually want .. often it is to create better images or to make
their images look better.  This need not specifically involve Photoshop and
if people can be shown cheaper, easier ways to achieve this goal then they
will thank you for saving them time and money, mostly time ;)

I don't know if this coming across right, please don't take it as an
anti-Photoshop rant..  what I'm trying to say among other things is that it
should ultimately be about the final product and not so much about the
process one goes through to achieve it.

karl