A lens in need is a lens indeed.........

Hi Gang..............

Now here is an interesting one.............

I bought a Canon 10D and a Sigma 28-105 lens about a year and a half ago.
Up until the other night this combo has worked fine.

Tuesday night I was doing some photos at a dress rehearsal
for a local theatre company and a few times the camera locked up
and the display flashed the err 99 code.

If I turned the camera off and then turned it back on it would work fine for a while.

Wednesday night I went back and was doing photos of the final
dress rehearsal and about every 10 shots or so the camera would
lock up and I had to keep turning the camera off and it was taking
longer to keep it turned off before it would resume working.

Amazingly I managed to get about 300 shots of the show!

However at the end of the evening nothing I did would
unlock the camera from flashing the err 99 code.

I did a Google search on this and found about 9 bizillion
hits on the err 99 code. And a great deal of them concerned
using a Sigma lens in combo with a Canon 10D.

No other brand of lens was mentioned in this problem.

Now what is interesting is that if I take the lens off the camera
and turn it on, the display comes on as it should, but if I put
the lens back on it locks up and shows the err 99!

It was mentioned that one may need to clean the contact between
the lens and the camera body. Needless to say I had tried this.

It was mentioned that people had sent their lens back to Sigma and had it "re chipped" to correct this problem.
Apparently a chip in the lens was not talking well with the camera.

A buddy of mine who owns a number of Canon lenses came over
and we tried a few of his lenses on my camera and the display
came on as normal and the camera was ready to go.

Looks like I need to buy a new lens.

What I find odd is that this combo worked fine for over a year.
And since I only own one lens it wasn't like I had worn any thing out
changing lenses a lot.

Oh well......

I would rather replace a lens that the camera body!

Russ
R.E. Baker
Photography
rebphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx