Re: Standard vs. Professional Canon Lenses/ fixed vs. zoom

Hi All,

I have been using Canon systems for over 30 years now and Canon has some of the best lenses ever made.
The biggest differance between L glass and non-L is quite a bit.

First is build quality. L lenses are considerably more rugged in general design. They use more exotic metals, carbon fiber and resins to create a more rugged lens. So they will withstand rough treatment and harsh environments better. I dropped my 70-200 2.8 and it survived just fine

Second is the overall design and sharpness of the lenses. Many are sharper than the camera can record. The use of LD and UD lens elements, matched elements and reflection control are just some of the factors involved. Edge to edge sharpness, control over lens flair, and bokah are under tighter control too. Overall they are the sharpest glass available from Canon. Use the 300 mm 2.8 sometime and see what I mean. They try very hard not to allow
factory seconds to leave the manu floor.

No lenses are perfect, all of them have good points and bad ones too. Canon has made some lenses that really needed more thought. But they are few and far between.

Rent some lenses and find out. I am not a real fan of after market glass but some times you can find a good lens or too. In your photo budget plan on spending more for glass and less on bodies and your images will look better. more consistant and sharper.

Les Baldwin