Re: Standard vs. Professional Canon Lenses/ fixed vs. zoom

lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just bought a high-end Canon Digital Camera (full frame) so i figure
its pretty ridiculous for me to be shooting on my 28-80 standard Canon
lense that came with my Rebel 2000 (right?)

So, now I'm thinking I should buy a Canon Professional lense (i want
something that shoots wide angle, and I also want to be able to zoom to 70
or 80mm (i have another lense for 75-300 and I don't care that its not pro
because im most interested in wide angle- 50mm)

Look at the EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM The L designation generally denotes Canon's pro lenses

My questions are the following.  what is the difference between standard
and professional lenses from canon (i know about chromatic alterations,
vignetting) but are the differences major.  anyone have a used pro lense
or know where i could get one?

Pro lenses have all the optical features you mention and they are generally more ruggedly built. I use a EF 28-70 f/2.8L and it is a great lens. Other options would include the EF 16-35 f/2.8L or the EF 17-40f/4L . These will give good wide angle performance but you'll have a gap between their long ends and the 70 end of your 70-300

Also, should i buy a seperate macro lense or a complete zoom.  i mostly
shoot wide angle, like i said, but sometimes i like to zoom a bit.

any thoughts?
Depends on what you plan to shoot with the macro. A true macro is a flat field lens which means you can shoot a postage stamp full size and the entire frame will be sharp.
sincerely,

joshua
Bob

--