Re: effective maximum resolving power, film Vs Digital (again)

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dyer-Bennet"

: Qkano <wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
:
: > >stuff that contributed nothing to the image.  It was suggested that a
4000
: > >ppi scanner offered no benefit above a 1200 ppi scanner for high
quality
: > >35mm film..
: >
: > Bull...!

obviously :)

: And, in general, Roger's article on film vs. digital at
: <http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/film.vs.digital.summary1.html>
: is worth looking at.
:
: The other point is that simple resolution questions can be fairly
: easily settled by photographing a resolution test chart.  This can
: provide a useful check on theoretical calculations :-).

Those resolving power figures I stated are a serious oversimplification of
the many factors that contribute to resolution, and can NOT give a
definitive guide to resolving power, however treated as an abstract
comparison between the digital sensor and film I'm guessing* they give a
pretty good guide to the actualities behind the system.  I guess they could
be combined and treated as ratios.

(* I am guessing as I know the numbers can't be wrong, yet they are clearly
not the whole truth)

Once sharpening algorithms and the like are introduced into the digital
side by the camera/software package everything changes as far as the image
goes, however the true real limits remain fixed.

Personally, I feel shooting res test charts is a bad habit that should be
discouraged fairly early in a photographers career ! ;)