Re: PF Exhibits update 10-06-06

The Photoforum gallery is at
<http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html>.  Apologies to all for
missing the last week or two; though I stop short of promising to
*catch* the *next* week or two reliably, either.  But I'm trying to
participate in the gallery discussion a log more regularly than I have
of late.  I suppose I should find another shot to submit, too.

Roger Eichhorn -- Purple Flower -- I love the leaf shapes and
textures, and the flower has a great set of colors.  Exposure seems
spot-on, too, in a fairly dificult situation.  I would crop or clone
out the dark brown intrusion at the right, though (and you could crop
down from the top some if necessary to help balance).

Charles Dias -- Remember Nautilus -- This is very fine in a number of
ways; the shades are nice, the lighting works well on it.  The two
things I find a bit distracting are the background texture+tone (I
think maybe having it darker would help, or else having it smoother or
something) and the bit of shell in the right lower corner being out of
focus (everything on the line from central whorl down to the bottom
edge on the "obvious" line about 20 degrees left of straight down is
sharp enough, which contributes to the corner being distracting, I
think because that makes it a "big" island of unsharpness bordered by
sharpness all around).  Yeah, I've done some macro photography, the
focus and depth of field is essentially *never* just perfect.

Guy Glorieux -- Thames -- Flat and unsaturated to my eye, and the sky
is too bright; I can just see the beginning of cloud detail that would
help a lot.  Cropping the top of the big tree at left doesn't work
very well either.  The picture may work much better in the context of
a series, though.  I've seen that kind of day in England, but I don't
think this picture really captures it (I'm not, however, trying to
insist that all pictures of England should be taken on sunny days!).
I've used a graduated ND filter for this kind of situation with some
success.

Elson T. Elizaga -- Julia -- Cute kid.  Nice pose, with the
stranglehold on...Pooh, I think?  And looks like you managed to get it
straight (or at least straight enough to crop later), probably in a
hurry, which is good (the geometric wood pattern provides too blatant
a set of references for the usual amount of crookedness to work well,
I suspect).  I'm skeptical of the very *small* crop off the top of her
head, but in a hurry or needing to correct other things that might be
the best you had available of course; anyway not a severe fault.

Jeff Saxman -- Mmmm, avocado.  The full-size picture doesn't seem to
be available.  The thumbnail is striking, though I'm a little worried
about the specular highloights on the skin right near the center of
the frame.

Renate Volz -- in the name of... -- Hmm, I think the state of mind
there is closer to "By my order and for the good of the state...".
Looks like the photo has insufficient depth of field, and cropping the
blade that near the point seems wrong.  The shadow is nice, and the
detailing in the basket and on the blade just in front of the basket
are very nicely shown.  The grained wood makes a good backdrop.

Tim Mulholland -- No Peeking! -- A nice moment, though it's a shame
the inherent logic of it deprives us of nearly all the eyes. Decent
light in the groom's room is of course not going to happen in a grab
shot of this, but it weakens the photo quite a bit.  And I'd like to
have the feet on the left, even at the cost of the rest of the door
frame at the top right.

Morley Roberts -- Edith -- Need to balance the subject, which is
exposed very nicely, with the background, which is hot enough to start
to be distracting (to the right).  Be nice to roll down a *huge* sheet
of 1 stop ND gel behind the near tree, eh?  The hair, dress, and pose
all look like a fashion shoot (the model looks nice, but not so exotic
she could *only* be found on a fashion shoot set), so I'm glad to see
that's what it was.  The near tree makes a nice background for her.

Thanks to everybody participating in the gallery this week!  I still
think the gallery is one of the things that makes this list
interesting and useful.  Seeing each other's work is good, and
practicing talking about actual photos is good, and having something
to distract us from other discussions once a week can be very handy
sometimes too.

RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>