Θέμα: Re: Does it really worth buying an old DSLR model?

Les, thank you for your response. Indeed had I started again i would opt for something like your suggestion. BUT

... after 2 expensive lenses (zoom at f/2.8) and a flash unit, there is no way to turn back. Especially considering my financial situation that flactuates from very good to damn poor. These days it is in the ups but not that high to replace my system on the spot. If and when I turn pro it will be something to consider.
And an -1 series DSLR is definetely out of range. And I do not think it would be any good on buying a D-70 for instance...

The question remains. Would anyone of you buy the first model istD for the shake of the vertical grip alone?

thanx, kostas

By that I mean either Canon or Nikon. Both support working pros the world over and have extensive loan programs too. Pentax does not really have a "Pro" section any longer and who knows how much longer they will be in business. Minolta (recently known as Konica-Minolta) was one of the great inovators in photographic systems. But since they did not , ,and now cannot (they are all but dead) support working pros using their gear is really limited to what you can find on the used market.

Cost is always an issue and I understand that you cannot make the jump all at once without breaking the piggy bank. But I am afraid that  a Pentax purchase will further corner your self with obsolete equipment. Then your contemporairies will have already made the switch and have a tech (only) edge on you.

I purchased my very first top of the line DSLR late last year and it has really helped bring home images that would be "luck" shots if recorded before. I know that you do concert and music events and they usually have horrible lighting for photo. But borrow a Canon 1D MkII N and a 70-200 L ( or the Nikon =) and see what you can create over anything currently from Pentax. Shutter lag is one very great differance over most semi pro or advanced cameras. AF speed too even in low light. It really does increase the number of keepers vs bad shots

At some point it is not just fancy that drives the purchase of expensive gear but an actual need to help you create your best images.

I know that this is not what you were looking for exactly but I think if you try it you'll like it :-)

Les

No matter what, CHEER UP MY FRIENDS! Life is too precious to jump the other side of the fence...
kostas papakotas / clenched teeth photography http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteetharticles

Χρησιμοποιείτε Yahoo!