Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: The death of photo industry - Was Pentax are seeing the light

Charles Dias <deepblue972000@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

 I think the crisis in the photo industry is much more deep than
 they say or even want to believe in. Some people says that one of
 the two last big ones (Kodak and Fuji) will end the year almost
 broken and I agree.

   It's clear that the "digital soluction" adopted in a hurry by the
   photo industry was just like a gunshot in its own feet. For
   decades Kodak, Fuji, Ilford, Agfa and Konica sold camera gear but
   had most of its income from films, paper and chemicals for
   processing ... nowadays with digital the number of prints sold
   are decreasing drastically and they can do nothing about that
   because they sold the tool for the consumer to avoid speding
   money with photo labs.

Personily I am glad Kodak is having problems, they totaly abandoned the pros who I would have thought where their bread and butter, in favor of easy on site printing at walmart and others.

Other companies, like Nikon and Canon and Pentax and Olympus, were
solidly in the camera business.  They and others would have made and
sold digital cameras anyway, and digital cameras would have taken over
from film anyway -- because it fits people's needs much better.
That's why people are switching so fast.  Some of the professionals
switched because of lab costs, maybe.  Snapshooters switched because
of online photo sharing and not having to finish the roll before
emailing the pictures to the grandparents.

   I think in the near future things will get worse for photo
   industry and a lot of other companies will bankrupt or will go
   out of photo business. The biggest problem is that in this war
   we, consumers, are the real losers.

You may be a loser; I'm certainly not, I'm a huge winner on the
digital transition.

I would have to say I am both on this one, I am a winner because I can do more retouching and manipulation on photos for clients who still appresheate good work, I am a loser because it seams there are more people out there who do not appresheate good work and digital makes it possible for them to have their own mediocre work!

RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>