What triggers an off camera flash?

Hi folks:

I suspect that this is a really dumb question, but I have been fighting this battle for several months now, and I still am having troubles.  I have a Sunpack 555 thyristor handle flash that I am trying to use with my D70.  It fires very intermittantly.  I am beginning to suspect cable or contact problems (its an older flash).  I am wondering, what is sent over the cable to the hotshoe of a flash when it fires?  If it is a voltage, i can take a source and re-create it so i can test the contacts etc, if it simply closes a circuit, i can also repliacte that -- the short answer is -- I dont know what causes the flash to fire, so i cant re-create it in a controlled environment to begin to test failure modes.  Can any one help

Right now - im using the D70, The nikon hotshoe adapter, and sunpack cables to the flash  -- sometimes it works great -- others -- not so well

Any help is appreciated.

TIM