Re: sillyness before departing for two weeks to Europe..

Emily,

The easiest way to get currency abroad is from an atm machine in that country. I've used mine all over Europe, Mexico, Peru, Morocco, Taiwan, Korea, etc., with ease. When I spent the fall of '96 in London, I made the mistake of having my bank here transfer $2,000 to a bank in London. It took forever and they charged me $40! After I got there, I transfered several thousand $'s to my bank in London using only my atm card. Now, when I travel abroad, I change $100 or so at the airport and get whatever else I need from an atm machine. Initially, it was very cheap, but the US banks have started to treat it as a new source of revenue so the costs have gone up. It's a good idea to call the 800 numbers on the back of your credit and atm cards and tell them where you're going. I had a hold placed on one of my cards once. Fortunately I had another card that hadn't been restricted so I was able to buy a coat since it was freezing when I hadn't anticipated it!

Have a great trip!

Roger