copyright infringement advice...

Greetings all,

I'm seeking advice from the learned members of this forum regarding copyright infringement. I hope that you'll forgive me in advance if I don't respond to any factual questions that you might have about this situation. The possibility exists (although I'm hoping that it can be avoided) that this situation could progress into a legal proceeding, and it's too easy any more to google anyone's name, etc., and learn how I might have presented this situation and responded to your questions. I've dealt with too many lawyers in my former life...

Short story: A client copied an image, manipulated it, and published it without my consent.

Long story: A client hired me to shoot photos of a product. At a subsequent time, I was/am to overlay a CAD drawing of a second product (presently non-existent product) on the first product, so that the client could use the composite image for marketing purposes. I took the base photos last fall and prepared for creating the composite (there's some math required on my part). I placed med-res thumbnails on my website for the client to view (he's in a different city and it's not easy for us to get together), and the images were clearly marked with the copyright symbol. I sent an email to the client and the design firm that included perspective issues that I needed for them to generate the CAD drawing, so that the two images would appear as seamless as possible. After a couple of months of no communication, I was called by the client and told that a friend of the client would like to do a story about the new product in a new, boutique regional magazine about this issue/market. My response was "please let me know how I can be of assistance." At no time did I offer to transfer the copyright, either during this conversation, nor during the proposal. After several more months of no communication, I was called about six weeks ago, and asked to meet so that I could see the latest design and consider the composite. When we met a week later, the client presented me with a printed copy of my image with the CAD drawing already layed over my image; I was told that this was the image that had been published in the magazine. I was stunned, having not known that any of this had occurred. I suspect that the design firm did the actual copying and image manipulation, although I don't know for certain. I haven't seen the magazine, but I suspect that I did not receive a photo credit. In the moment, I chose to remain silent, to listen to what the client had to say, and to consider what I might have done to lead the client to do this, as well as to formulate a response that was less invested with emotions. A few days after the meeting, I wrote an email to the client, inquired about the CAD drawing progress (which we had discussed at the meeting), and informed the client that the copyright had been infringed upon via the copying, manipulating and publishing without my consent.

So, here are my questions/approaches. I sincerely wish to avoid a legal proceeding. I believe that there are many creative ways for people to resolve their differences, and to resolve them in ways that allows everyone to maintain their dignity - I've done it many times before. And, I sincerely and equally wish to defend my profession and legal/creative rights.

I spoke with the client a few days ago and said that I'd be submitting an invoice for the services performed to date, as well as charges for the copyright infringement issues. The client is waiting to see what those charges might be. In my mind, I'm considering possible charges for copying, the manipulation and the publication.

1. I don't have any idea how much, if any, to charge for the copying. Your ideas are appreciated. 2. Regarding the image manipulation, I'll charge the client for two hours at my labor rate, as that's what I likely would have put in to do the manipulation myself. 3. Regarding the unauthorized publishing, I'll use an estimator, like Kenneth Richardson's, to suggest a rate.

Does this approach sound reasonable to you? The client has apologized for infringing on the copyright. But, the infringement has occurred, the client has gained from it, and I haven't.

Again, I hope that you'll respect my lack of responding to further questions on this issue via Photoforum, but I will be eagerly looking for your responses. Additionally, if you wish to contact me by email with your thoughts/opinions, I would welcome that. Also, if you're in N. America and want to offer advice by phone, please email me and I'll call you.

Thank you,

Tim!

Tim Mulholland
Illuminata Photo