Re: two more happy pages of my sailing pix

At 8:26 PM -0500 4/28/06, Shyrell Melara wrote:
Emily,

Your photos are superb! Would you mind giving us a few details on how you shot the bridge; camera, lense, exposures, etc?

10D, continuous shooting, long zoom (75-300) backed out as far as possible,we were as close as permitted (3000 feet), ISO 100 (not really high enough), the bridge came down in about 5 seconds, it appeared to us to drop straight like an elevator, but if you look at the video from the other bridge, it actually twisted. The link to the video may still be accessible from the link on that page. I got about 12 shots before the splash. I missed the opening explosion by the length of time my reflexes took to respond - too much. I pre-focussed and turned the auto-focus off, tried very hard not to touch the lens once I'd done that. Used exposure time priority set at a 200th. Could have gone faster, didn't need all that depth of field. I really didn't expect the bridge to fall that fast. Didn't even expect it to fall quite that way, I figured it would blow up!

Would I be able to photograph the same thing with my Canon Rebel maybe?

Sure. If you have an adequate lens. My advice is don't buy aftermarket lenses.

I can take 3 pix in a row but what if I'd like to (or have to) shoot faster?

Sometimes I'm not at all sure one needs to. It seems to me there are more useful skills, like learning to pan with motion while shooting multiple shutter releases, and learning to lift the finger from the shutter release and then put it down again without consulting the brain in between. I mean, if it takes 5 seconds for the bridge to come down, just how different are the 8 shots per second going to be with the faster cameras? Sure, it'll be like a movie, but if I wanted a movie I'd not be shooting stills.

I'm still trying to trudge through the techno-babble (she wrote litely knowing how important said babble truly is) in the manual. Thanks.

Shoot, shoot, shoot. Study what you got, study some more, study some more. Imagine what would make it better, imagine, imagine. Figure out what you need to know and look it up. Then shoot, shoot, shoot.

Repeat.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822