Re: Brief update on book progress

Andrew Davidhazy wrote:

Emily et al,

I was not really worried about recovering 30 dollars. No biggie. At the beginning I failed to talk about "money". I am perfectly happy to not assign any royalties. You are correct in assuming I can set the price of the book at any level beyond the basic printing cost which is about $18 as I mentioned.

If some kind of royaly would be included, even like 10 cents, Lulu keeps track of that and sends the "author" a check every so often. If these would have to be kept track of so as to redistribute to every contributor that would obviously be too much of a hassle. My school might benefit if they are directed its way but I think also that the amounts would be very small and maybe not worth the hassle of the paperwork associated with depositing a few dollars every 3 months.

So, I am am for no royalties and let the chips fall where they may. This would ensure that the PDFs of the book are free and that nobody has to deal with money.

cheerio,
andy

FWIW, I heartily concur. I never anticipated any monetary return and assumed that was not the purpose of the book. But I am retired from commercial photo ventures now and I am only speaking for myself. My preference would be to keep it as simple as possible for you folks at RIT who have made this possible. That means no royalty bookkeeping I guess. Let's make this a pure fun project free of venal concerns.
Don

Emily L. Ferguson wrote:

Well, the ISBN # is about 85 cents each, are you figuring on getting that back from royalties? If you do that the bookkeeping will be simpler for a while.

Do they let you set the book price? If so, what do you think it will be to cover the royalties, too.

I think the ISBN number is a good idea. Who knows about the fate of books. They make it into the most amazing places because someome tripped over one somewhere.

But I'm not so sure about managing the royalties. What were you thinking of doing with the royalty money, and will RIT have some interest in it, us having used their IT services and student gophers for so long.

--
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and the government when it deserves it. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)