Cooments: PF Galleries 08-04-06

Now that the agony of selecting an image for the book is over, let´s try a review:

  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

        Emily L. Ferguson - Fresnel lens in Heceta head light
Nice, abstract composition (yes, it IS a literal rendering of what the lenses in a lighthouse look like, but for most people I suppose it looks very abstract indeed...). Nice colour scheme that hints at the marine setting.

        Herschel Mair - Aerial view of minaret and palms
Excellent! One of my favourites this week. Makes me think of Paul Klee´s paintings of similar subjects, even though the colour is very, very different. Perfect exposure that makes the white minaret glow without being burnt-out.

        Roger Eichhorn - Rusty Branches
Nice colours, a feeling of "ordered chaos" that I like. The whitish sky disturbs me a little, but would have been difficult to eliminate (I recall one has to keep strictly to the paths in most of the reserve, so the option to choose another angle often just isn´t there).

        Marilyn Dalrymple - Pear
Harmonious colours, a nice overall softness, and several kinds of textures work well. A bit like Marie Cosindas´work in its general mood.

        Jeff Spirer - Couple and Snake
Josef Sudek (one of the great photographers of all time IMHO) once said that "all the mystery is in the shadows". Jeff surely is one that keeps proving the truth of that opinion with his images. This one is just eerie! Like it a lot!

        Per Ofverbeck - Nike

        Kostas Papakotas - Tim Scott MacDonald
Another "mysterious shadows" image, very much akin to Jeff´s. Just cannot make up my mind which one I like best (and my tiny granddaughter squeezed in between.... ;-) Bet she´d enjoy it no end!).

        Jim Snarski - Pipevine Swallowtail
I am unfamiliar with that species, but it does look like a real beauty! Nice, translucent feeling to the wings. Somewhat busy background, but that would be hard to avoid in the full sun that brought it out in the first place.

Finally, I want to thank Renate and Marilyn for their kind comments on my contribution this week. Yes, Marilyn, that´s late afternoon light through a large window; no wonder I grabbed the camera..