Re: any Judges Out There?

I don't like the idea of a purely subjective /opinion-based judgment. Then the criteria becomes:
"What kind of pictures does this judge like. OK I'll make those kind of pictures to win the competition."

This results in a boring, sameness and a reluctancy to try anything new, hence stagnation. I see many camera-club images where people are still trying to be Ansel Adams clones because the judge has a thing for the zone system.

I feel the results should be from informed and educated analysis of the images.

Off the top of my head I can't remember the marking form I designed but it looks something like this:

I break it down into a series of marks for different criteria:

Firstly the preliminary run-through I'm looking to do away with images that don't conform the the theme and images that are totally boring. This is the most subjective part.  I mark on
1. Context (Out of 10)(Assuming the competition has a theme)  and
2 Visual impact (out of 10)

Then I add other criteria
1 Contex; (0-10)
2. Impact (0-10)

3  Clarity of subject matter and is it the centre of interest (0-5)
4. Use of line, shape, space, texture, colour, light, rhythm and pattern (Aesthetic merit) (0-5)
5.  Is there metaphor, allegory or other special visual interpretation (0-5)
6.  Technical quality (0-5)

Mark out of 40.

Get the finalists and sit and talk about the pictures. Use a process of elimination.

Herschel

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology