RE: any Judges Out There?

Marilyn –

The first thing I look for is impact.  Like it or not, the obligation of a juror at a show is to make snap judgments about images, and images with impact stand out and grab the juror’s attention.

But I also look for qualities in the image that would make it wear well while hanging on the wall.  Too many contest images are all impact and no substance, and there are also some images that are very decorative but that don’t attract attention.  The best images have to do both.

I also look for some kind of intrinsic value in the image.  By this I mean either the ability to succinctly tell a story (in the case of a journalistic image), or to convey the sense that the maker was acutely sensitive to his surroundings and had the ability to see an image that most people would just walk by.  The converse of this intrinsic value is that the image exists purely as an exercise in photographic technique.

Finally, I look for technical quality that is consistent with the theme/style of the image.  I don’t have a problem with grain in a journalistic image, but grain in a still life, landscape or architecture image can be distracting.  All images need to be finished in a manner that indicates that the maker is proud of his work and that he has respect for those who view it.   The converse of this is sloppy work that suggests that the maker doesn’t care how his work appears.

One thing that I never look for or try to assess is composition.  The reason for this is that “composition” exists at two levels.  On one level, it is an ingredient in both the impact and intrinsic value of the image.  Images with good impact and intrinsic value tend to almost always be well composed, and composition is one of the factors that lead to impact and intrinsic value.  Therefore, if the image succeeds in impact and intrinsic value, the composition is there.

On another level, composition degenerates into a set of mickey-mouse rules, and excessive adherence to formulas leads to boring images.

So in a lot of ways it’s like what Justice Holmes said about porn – I don’t know what it is, but I sure can recognize it when I see it.

Louie J. Powell

Saratoga Springs, NY

monophoto@xxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.monophoto.blogspot.com