No more Tiff

I only use 3 file types now. RAW-PSD-JPG. The RAW file from the camera which I convert in CS2 and save as PSD.
When I need to output, I do all the work  in a duplicate PSD at the right resolution and output as JPG 12. If the client wants to meddle, then I give him the PSD file with all elements sorted into layer groups and layer sets with adjustment layers etc so that no changes are irreversible. I've even educated a couple of Art Directors in Layer Comps!!
The original PSD is my archive file and the Raw gets filed away, hopefully not to be required for a while.

I get fantastic quality from JPEG 12 and I have shot 3 campaigns that have gone to full page newspaper advertising, glossy magazine half pages and hundreds of huge billboards across the country. (I guess printed via some RIP software.). They look terrific.

When Vogue magazine bought 3 of my photographs, 4 months ago, they asked for Jpegs.

Who needs TIFF?

Herschel

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Photoshop keeps the original RAW data also, even if you burn the file
after preparing the interpretation in Adobe Camera RAW.

All I recommend is doing your conversion and saving as a tif. Then
compress your tif with jpeg compression for easy emailing. Of
course, there will be some loss due to the jpegging, but once is not
likely to be devastating to many color files.

If you are a new Adobe Camera RAW user I strongly recommend that you
carefully explore all the items in the menu bar in the browser
window. There are items there specific to RAW conversion which are
not in the Photoshop menu bar. These items contain many of the
powerful features of Adobe Camera RAW.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx