Converting Raw files

I'm very happy with my new Minolta 7d and especially the RAW files it produces. I find that I almost always prefer the result of a few adjustments to the jpg file the camera takes at the same time.

However, I'm not quite sure about the perfect software for converting and adjusting raw files.
Currently I'm mostly using an evaluation copy of the Dimage Master Software, which is easy to use and gives great results.
On the other hand, it's quite expensive and the user interface is a nightmare: loads of palettes cluttering the space on my monitor.
The Dimage viewer that comes with the camera is pretty useless.
I have also tried Raw Shooter essentials, but although the interface is much tidier, I miss some functions like the histogramme in Dimage Master.
Any recommendations from list embers more experienced with working on raw files?

Laurenz
http://www.travelphoto.net/