Proceeding faster than expected on the book project

Dear Marilyn and other list members,

Thanks for offer to help but hopefully we can automate this process as much as possible and so I propose to rely, while still available, on the RITphoto@xxxxxxx autoresponder to receive, acknowledge receipt and store contributed images and text for this project. If a headache develops I'll try to remember to ask for help!

Emily said: It would be neat to have an opening page with some text describing who we are as a group and how we operate, where to find us online, why you started the group etc.

Anyway, I think Emily's suggestions were good ones and they are the basis for a sample layout I put together (illustrated with some student work) and reviewable here:

      http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/photoforum/photoforumbooklet.jpg

An author would be assigned a left and a right page. The left one for text and the right one for the photograph.

All is a rough guide - suggestions sent in to me using the form mentioned below most welcome. No suggestions are also very welcome!!!! :)

Further, if you have not already indicated your interest in participating you can now do so (along with sharing ideas and suggestions) through a form I have installed on the web. It is at:

      http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/photoforum/PF-bookform.html

Emily further sugested: I think we should limit it to one page per person, however. Perhaps each person could create their own page at the right size for the book and jpeg their file and email it to you?

In a perfect world this might work but given the variations in image management expertise among list members I think we should have a way for contributors to send an image file and text without having to adhere to rigid rules (unlike the gallery!!) and then project management would do the final touches if needed to make the images fit the design parameters. Those on the list that can manage could prepare their pages yes. Design parameters are yet to be determined but a suggestion is that images should be maximum about 9 inches in horizontal direction (for horizontal photographs) and maximum of 7 inches in vertical direction (if image is vertical). 300 dpi would be good but could drop to as low as 200 dpi if needed. The final size of images will be a bit less (1/2 inch) since we might want to allow for a little margin.

BTW, 1 inch is equal to 25mm approximately!  DPI??? hmmmm ... :)

One image per person I guess is OK but if interest does not exceed maybe 25 members we could go for two, no? Authors could decide as well whether to go with one or two. If we have too many we can also not include the 2nd one (indicated by author as being the one to leave out in case one has to be left out.

Text would include such things as author, title of photograph (if any) maybe a descriptive paragraph or two about the photograph or an artist's statement and possibly a brief biography and contact information for author such as email and/or website, etc.. Personally I prefer text written in first person but choice up to author.

A copyright notice will be included alongside each photograph. Does this make sense? Send suggestions through form mentioned above or discuss it gently on the list, eh?

cheers,
andy