Re: Old Question - desktop website software

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shyrell Melara" < shyrellmelara@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 10:03 AM
Subject: Old Question - desktop website software

> ... I'd like to build my own site and upload it my free space on my ISP. Some
> on another list I'm on has suggested Front Page. What do you suggest?
> (And no I can't afford to get a Mac computer at this time.)   >:o(
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shyrell
>
> Melara Family Photography
> Preserving Precious Memories

Frontpage is relatively easy to use but produces code that is far from perfect.
Sometimes, it will be just about impossible to make it do what you want - unless you go directly into the HTML source code and change some formatting that the software inserted...

Personally, I very much prefer Dreamweaver or just an HTML editor like Homesite.
Dreamweaver is quite costly and takes some time to learrn, but is incredibly flexible and produces a standard-compliant, relatively lean code.

There's quite a number of cheap/free alternatives as well.

By the way,there also is a free version of Frontpage (Frontpage Express). If you really need Frontpage functions that are not included in the free version, I'd guess you'd be better off with a more professional solution anyway...

Another software that produces nice sites with a non-standard compliant code: Net Objects Fusion.
they have a few good standard layouts and an easy photo gallery module, but again can drive you nuts when you want to change some formats. I've used this softawre in my http://www.onlinephotogalleries.com/ site.

Laurenz