Re: arabic sensibilities (Was por nography and fine art nude ladies)

This discussion reminds me of the time when I did research among a Hanunuo Mangyan village in the Philippines. I was welcome by the community, and permitted to take photos of them and their surrounding, except their rituals. I was told that my camera, especially the flash, would drive the spirits away, or make them angry. So, I never had any picture of such activities, even though I was with them for two years -- returning to the city occasionally, of course. From what I know, there are still no photos of Hanunuo Mangyan rituals today.

I have mixed feelings about this matter. Part of me wants to photograph a disappearing culture, but another says I must respect their privacy. Sooner or later, their tradition will vanish. So much has been taken from them already, even their gods are being replaced.

Elson