Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 1:16 PM
Subject: Re: Question

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marilyn" <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Question

Someone was asking me if the number of megapixels a camera has in some way correlates to a photographer using a larger sheet of film - in other words (I don't understand that question the way it is worded, myself) - is using a 16 megapixel digital camera equal in photographic quality to a photographer using a large format film camera loaded with sheets of 16X20 film?

I answered "yes," - more megapixels, more information recorded=better quality. Likewise, more film surface, more information recorded=better quality. How would some of you have answered?

Marilyn

Ain't necessarily so. Clairty is ranged by an actual formula and principle in physics defined by the circled of illumination or 'circle of confusion.' This has to do with the light passing through a lens to strike a film plane or chip sensor.

The question is a good one, and I'd like to know the answer, but before pixels can be recorded, the light muse register clearly on a plane of focus. My understanding created by my photo finishing person has lead me to understand that the scan size or file before printing makes for the clarity of an electronic print. (I hate using the term digital.)

S. Shapiro