Re: Question

Marilyn:
: Someone was asking me if the number of megapixels a camera has in some
way
: correlates to a photographer using a larger sheet of film - in other
words
: (I don't understand that question the way it is worded, myself) - is
using a
: 16 megapixel digital camera equal in photographic quality to a
photographer
: using a large format film camera loaded with sheets of 16X20 film?
:
: I answered "yes,"  - more megapixels, more information recorded=better
: quality.   Likewise, more film surface, more information recorded=better
: quality.  How would some of you have answered?

yes and no,

While a 12Mp sensor might cover a 35mm frame (36x24mm) in size, it's
capturing the equivalent of a half frame compared to most medium quality
scanners, but it IS a full 35mm frame.

Something like the Sony 828 even though it has 8Mp has a mere 8.8 x 6.6mm
sensor - effectively a 1/4 frame in size, but 1/3 frame in quality.

ANother way to look at it is like this:

Sony F828 sensor size = 58 sq mm, so 8M/58 =  .138M photosites/sq mm
Canon 10D sensor size = 343 sq mm, so 6.3M/343 =  .018M photosites/sq mm
Canon 1Ds sensor size = 852 sq mm, so 11.1M/852 =  .012M photosites/sq mm
Sigma SD9 sensor size = 286mm^2, so 10.3/3/286 =  .012 MP/mm^2

It's *probably* more like talking about differing films ISO's - higher ISO,
more visiblity of the grain, less detail - finer films, less visible grain,
more detail.

Sensor size doesn't relate to format any more than saying a 3200 ISO 4x5
produces the *same* image as a 35mm using 100 ISO film.  there are
characteristics of format that go beyond resolution, sharpness and detail.

But in a way, what you said makes sense in the digital world :)

that's my take