Re: Question

At 06:22 AM 3/15/2006, Marilyn wrote:
Someone was asking me if the number of megapixels a camera has in some way correlates to a photographer using a larger sheet of film - in other words (I don't understand that question the way it is worded, myself) - is using a 16 megapixel digital camera equal in photographic quality to a photographer using a large format film camera loaded with sheets of 16X20 film?

I answered "yes," - more megapixels, more information recorded=better quality. Likewise, more film surface, more information recorded=better quality. How would some of you have answered?

Digital sensors come in different sizes, which is more analogous to film size. For a given sensor size, more pixels may add detail but it will add noise, obscuring detail. A large 6 megapixel sensor (like in the Canon 10D) will give better images than a smaller 8 megapixel sensor (like many digicams.)

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/