Re: Photo contests and copyrights

>>>"...you grant to National Geographic Society and its subsidiaries and
licensees (the "NGS") a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license to
display, distribute and reproduce the Photograph, in whole or in
part, in any medium now existing or subsequently developed for
editorial purposes without further review or participation from you.">>>

>>>Note that it says, "for editorial purposes."  That means they can't
use the photograph for advertising or other commercial purposes.
They can't make prints or posters for sale from it, nor may they sell
or license the usage of the photograph to a third party for
commercial purposes, including stock usage.  They cannot sell any
rights to the picture because that's not an editorial usage.>>>

Yes it does. I skimmed over that point.

Some of us are making the assumption that NG would use their terms to "beat up" the photographer. If they wanted to use the image in an ad or as a poster, I am sure they would seek permission and offer compensation. Just a guess.

Bob

Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msncom