Re: Photo contests and copyrights

--- In photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elson T. Elizaga" <elson@...>
wrote:

> National Geographic has a photo contest.
>
> http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/yourshot/index.html
>
> Would you join a contest where your entry will be owned by the
> organizer, whether you win or not? Would this act not be the same as
> collecting stock photos for free?
>
> Elson

The rules state that participants assign unlimited usage rights to
National Geographic. I may be wrong but this is not the same thing as
selling the copyright (ownership) of the image. What disturbs me about
this contest is that there is nothing in the rules statement about the
photographer retaining the copyright. I almost never enter contests (I
prefer to work for paying clients) but if I did I would avoid any that
do not explicitly state that the photographer retains the copyright
and that the user is simply acquiring usage rights.

                                                      Richard