Re: Off topic, but I've just got to know

Could be bad sectors on the disk, the disk drive head isn't reading it properly, etc.

On Feb 28, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Marilyn wrote:

What happens to a disk when the message - "This disk is not formatted," appears on my computer screen, yet it is a disk that I've been using for several months?

Yesterday I was working on a project, stored the material on a disk, went to bed, woke up this morning and tried to retrieve the work and I can't retrieve it. Does the disk just wear out?

Did aliens zap it with electrical impulse weapons while I slept?

Are there such things as little "disk raiders" who creep in during the night and erase material stored on disks as a form of entertainment?

Why does this happen to the disks that I don't back up because, "Just this once I'll store material on one disk without backing it up" (are the disk raiders/aliens psychic?)?

Just wondering.

Marilyn