Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: Question regarding an homebuilt focusing schlieren system

Bill, Andy

When you talk about surplus copy lenses, are you talking about lenses from photocopy machines?  I've just opened up an old photocopier machine I had in my garage, and there is no usable lens in there.

Surplusshed.com looks like a good source, but now it comes down to my lack of knowledge in lens engineering.  From the little I know then my guess is that two lenses like the L4146
from the surplusshed website, stacked together, might do the trick. That lens is:

TYPE: Double Convex
DIAMETER: 35.5 mm
FOCAL LENGHT: 444 mm
COATED: no

Also, I'm getting pretty curious on lens science.  Any good hints on website or books that might be helpful?

regards
Frímann

Frimann,

If you can't obtain surplus copy lenses at your location, check out http://www.surplusshed.com  I've bought a lot of surplus optics from them and they are a relible supplier.  I'm sure they can ship internationally.

Bill