Re: Question regarding an homebuilt focusing schlieren system

Frímann,

I think those might work but I'd look into a preassembled lens system instead of two separate components. Something like a 300 mm f/4.5 lens ... or maybe even slower in aperture. I was thinking that possibly the zoom you already have might work. Getting all the adaptations made is probably a more significant "trick".

Andy

Bill, Andy

When you talk about surplus copy lenses, are you talking about lenses from
photocopy machines?  I've just opened up an old photocopier machine I had in
my garage, and there is no usable lens in there.

Surplusshed.com looks like a good source, but now it comes down to my lack
of knowledge in lens engineering.  From the little I know then my guess is
that two lenses like the *L4146* from the surplusshed website, stacked
together, might do the trick. That lens is:

TYPE: Double Convex
DIAMETER: 35.5 mm
FOCAL LENGHT: 444 mm
COATED: no

Also, I'm getting pretty curious on lens science.  Any good hints on website
or books that might be helpful?

regards
Frímann