Re: 18 FEB Re: PF exhibits on 11 FEB 2006

karl shah-jenner <shahjen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...]

Hmmm; yes, a profile would add significantly.  And I believe it's even
documented that images on the web default to sRGB if not profiled.
And in fact I don't think I'm leaving profiles in my web images.

Exif, yes, and also IPTC (often more text, though all the fields in
EXIF may still add up to more bits).

> Just did a little test
>
> I dragged a noisy, busy nocturnal street scene off my memory card, copied
> it a number of times and began running it through a few programs to resize
> and save it, here's what I found.
>
> Original Image from the 6 Mp camera pixel dimension 2560x1940 = 1.81Mb
>
> target size = 800x600 (preserving proportions)
>

> I then 'stripped' the original image to see what quantity of (arguably ;)
> superfluous data was present - 3.6Kb was stripped.
>
> I then restored this image to it's prestripped state (jstrip backs up if
> you ask it to) and proceeded on.
>

> I resized using lanczos filter in irfanview and save at 80% quality to get
> an file size of 52Kb.
> (irfanview has lanczos,hermite,triangle,mitchell,bell and b-spline filters
> for resampling by default, others can be added)
>
> I resized the stripped version also and got an image size of 48.4Kb
>
> I stripped the unstripped, resized version above and similarly got an image
> size of 48.4Kb
>
> NOTE, Irfanview kept the EXIF information on downsizing and saving (prior
> to stripping by jstrip).

All that makes sense so far (and Irfanview is a wonderful bit of
software, it's the defaulut viewer for nearly all image formats on my
system).  I don't use it much at all for *processing* files, though,
since Thumbs Plus makes it very easy to do batch processing from the
thumbnail window.

[snip]

> Why did PS *not* retain the exif data on resizing and saving?
> (Irfanview gives me the option when saving to include or exclude this
> information)

They've fixed this later, CS doesn't behave that way.  And there are
options for which bits to save, profile and other stuff separately in
the save dialog as I remember it.

> What did it put in it's place?
>
> Why was I stripping a *lot* less data from my images than I've seen in some
> other web images I've downloaded and stripped?
>
> why is Photoshop making such large files - the 60% 'save for web' image
> (71.6Kb) was visibly softer and showed more artifacts than Irfanview's 80%
> quality 48.4Kb file?
>
> I know Irfanview outperfoms PS according to many independent tests for
> quality, but that's a dramatic fifference..

The quality levels of course don't "really" mean anything, but
ignoring them and just taking the file sizes and visual impressions is
interesting.

> less answers, more questions ..

Questions are more fun anyway.