Re: Saving images on the road

13 feb 2006 kl. 22.10 skrev Laurenz Bobke:

Is this just a sort of "publication bias" - people who are completely happy do not write in forums?
Or are the risks real?

Does anyone here know a reliable portable medium?

After reading a very favourable test report (sorry, can´t find the URL now) 2 years ago, I bought an Archos Gmini 220.  It is a very small, quite solid feeling (rubberized) 20GB HD job, sold primarily as an MP3 player, but it has a CF slot (takes other card types via an adapter), and USB connection.

So far it has done an excellent job; haven´t lost one single file in 2 years.  It fits in a shirt pocket, and doubles as a music machine, if you bother to carry earplugs.  It has a small, monochrome display that lets you see the images, but not really asses them; it is just a "proof of delivery" if you feel better using it (I don´t).

I do prefer to have my PowerBook with me, but bulk-wise it is in another league altogether (it´s slightly smaller than the power adapter for the PowerBook).  So on "compact" journeys, there´s no contest.

I think the 220 is now replaced by another model; if it is as well made as mine, I´d buy one without hesitation if I had to replace the 220.

Cheers,

Per Öfverbeck

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"