Re: Saving images on the road

Laurenz Bobke wrote:

when I got my small Lumix FX8, I also bought an "Imax" portable HDD to store the pictures on the road. Worked fine - while I was at home. A few days into my Scotland/Ireland trip, it just refused to copy anything. I had quite an interesting time finding Internet cafes that actually allowed me to copy my data onto a CD (just about every 2nd day of the trip...). A special highlight were the Jessops shops that renamed and even resized part of the files (not all)... Now, I thought I might buy something decent for my next trip, but looking at the comments by customers I find that there are many similar stories for just about all brands including the GigaVu, Archos, Hama etc... One (satisfied!) customer even reported that in warm climates his device seemed to lose all data, but was able to retrieve them after putting it in the fridge for a while. Turning to portable CD writers and DVD burners, I read loads of horror stories about media being verified - only to turn out unreadable afterwards. Is this just a sort of "publication bias" - people who are completely happy do not write in forums?
Or are the risks real?
Does anyone here know a reliable portable medium? I'm already starting to look at ultraportable subnotebooks that could burn the data on CD or DVD and on their HDD. I have just ordered a Minolta 7D, so there'll be many more digital files from now on... Laurenz
http://www.travelphoto.net/
my new site about my hometown: http://www.wiesbaden-photos.com/

How about a little Apple Mac laptop? the little 12" ibook G4 sounds very tasty for this. I took an Acer laptop last summer and downloaded everyday - didn't lose a single file. Previous year I used a Dell Latitude and the year before that a very basic Sony Vaio.

Howard