Re: PF exhibits on 04 FEB 2006

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> At 10:52 AM -0500 2/4/06, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
> >The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated FEB 04 2006. Authors
> >with work now on display at:  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:
>
> Before I begin the review, I'd like to make a request.  Please make
> your submission no more than 4"x6" x 72 dpi.  When it's necessary to
> scroll down a window on a 17" monitor to see the entire image, after
> adjusting the window size to the monitor, the image is too long
> vertically for the gallery.

What resolution do you have your monitor at?  On mine, the tallest of
these, Pini's, takes up only 3/4 of the vertical space (since you
refer to having to "scroll down", I believe it's the vertical
dimension it's overflowing on your setup).  It's 800 pixels tall
(talking about inches and DPI for web images just confuses the issue).
So if you're still running at 1024x768, yeah, it'l too tall for your
monitor.  But why would anybody run a 17" montiro at such a lor
resolution?  1280x1024 seems more suitable, and at that resolution the
whole picture can be seen at once even with the browser overhead.

Preparing images for a  general web audience, I still hold myself
short of 800 tall; but Photoforum is a group of committed
photographers, who I would expect to be better equipped for working
with photos on their screens than average web users are.

(That said, it does exceed the dimensions given in the gallery
submission guidelines, which specify a max of 600 pixels; I think
that's somewhat too small for landscape-format pictures, myself, but
those are the official rules.)

(And, while arguing that one point, thank you for taking the time to
do significant comments on all the gallery photos; something I rarely
manage to make time for recently.)