Re Studio Flash and Nikon D100

Can't speak for the D70 etc.
howver the D100 I've used with Metz CT38 and Ct41 and also a Centon 95HF and most recently a Nikon SB800 Absolutely no problem with that system whatsoever, as long as you make sure the on-camera flash only triggers the studio unit(s). This I do by setting it to a low level and correct angling.

I have found that the hot-shoe adaptor system unreliable - the flash fired only intermittently

Howard.