Re: building a studio at school

The Canon 10d and 20d fire a pre-flash also and I've used this module with them without any problems. Currently I use the Freewire system.

Lea

On Jan 25, 2006, at 10:09 AM, Herschel Mair wrote:

There is a problem with this too. The camera fires a "Test flash" Milliseconds before the main flash ( to get the exposure0 this pre-flash fires the studio flashes before the shutter opens.

In any case, you have not yet bought the camera so why get involved with a system that you know will require a makeshift work-around.
Really, from experience, avoid the D70 for students.

herschel

Gregory Fraser <Gregory.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> very important:
> the D70 has no place to plug a studio flash in. We have 25 of them and now have
> took (to look) at something else to use in the studio!

Well I have a Canon Rebel which also is crippled by a lack of pc socket however, what I do is mount a flash on the hotshoe, scale it down to its lowest po wer and aim it at the ceiling. I have an optical slave on my studio flash power pack. This works fine for me since my studio (living room) ceiling is only 10' high. I suppose in a larger room I could increase the power on the hot shoe flash until it fired the studio lights.

Of course there is some light from the hotshoe flash that hits the subject but it is minimal and highly diffused.

You could also use hotshoe mounted radio transmitter and receiver slave setup.

Greg Fraser
Past Master of Funk
http://home.golden.net/~fraserg

Herschel Mair