Photo related thread

My haphazard comments on the images painstakingly posted here http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html.

Stuart Goldman (Boat in Fog) - I like the mood of this shot. Its not your normal 'oppressive doom' fog nor is it 'dreamy woman in flowing dress in the woods'. Its more 'wisps of light'. Interesting.

Jeff Spirer (Jesus) - Now if this were a print I'd have to accept the lack of detail for what it is but being digital, I just had to adjust the levels and wow, not only is Jesus wearing a ring but he seems to be at a Karaoke bar! The woman beside him is holding a microphone. Hey, you'll never guess who I saw singing 'Shake Your Groove Thing' at The Slippery Weasel last night!
Alright, I know it was a performance so the microphone actually makes sense but I just feel like you (and Yahoo) are trying to hide something from me. Or is it just that ever since you found out about that Earnest Condom Cam, you've been living with the lights dimmed?

Russell E. Baker ("Dracula") - After mucking about with Jeff's shot, I couldn't help but do a little color correction on this and lo and behold I like it when the blacks are actually black and the whites are white. The graininess and lack of detail add to the scene in my opinion.

David Small (A View From Outer Space) - I like the cleverness of this shot. It certainly does look like outer space. Cool.

Srinivasa R. Regeti (Glasses) - At first I was not sure where the plane of focus is. It appears to be at about a 45 degree angle to the table top which I guess makes sense since the camera is at about that angle. Still, its an interesting effect with all the glasses. Shame about the white rectangle though.

Don Roberts (Goodies?) - Far more colorful than caskets. Excellent winter time shot as a blizzard continues to rage outside my window and I left my boots at home.

Allan Rosen-Ducat (One Billion Years Old) - What is it about this image that really strikes a chord with me? Is it that I had no idea there was such a thing as a Polaroid back for a Holga? No. Perhaps its the way the blue sky tries to force itself upon me even though all the colors are low on saturation. Maybe its that the rocks look like faces looking up at the sky. Yeah, I think that's what it is.

Steven Finnerty - I like this scene but I would like it more with the right 1/3 removed. I like the reflection in the mirror and the way the light reflects onto the floor at the dog's feet plus the whole thing is mildly bizarre.

Thank you all for bringing the size of the gallery up to par and thank you gallery staff for keeping the quality of the gallery up to par.

Greg Fraser
http://home.golden.net/~fraserg